Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rudy Hatfield to the rescue

source: Joaquin Henson | philstar.com

Rudy Hatfield will end almost a three-year leave from the PBA and resume playing for Barangay Ginebra in the coming Fiesta Conference starting March 21.

After losing to Alaska in a 4-0 series sweep in the recent Philippine Cup semifinals, the Kings could use a fiery rebounder like Hatfield to get back in title contention. He will be a vital piece in the puzzle that coach Joseph Uichico is consolidating for the future.

Hatfield’s agent Bill Rosmarino confirmed yesterday that the H-Bomb from the University of Michigan at Dearborn has signed a one-year contract with Ginebra and will arrive from the US late March.

“Rudy is already preparing his body for battle,” said Rosmarino. “I’m just so excited. This has been nearly three years of waiting. It will be so nice to watch, as a Hatfield fan, the new improved 110 percent version. With his new mindset, rest and heart, you can only imagine what Rudy will do on the court for Ginebra.”

Hatfield, 32, took a leave of absence from Ginebra in 2007 for personal reasons. The 6-6 power forward, whose mother is Filipina, has played six years in the PBA, averaging 13.4 points and 10.8 rebounds.

In an exclusive STAR interview, Hatfield vowed to return with a bang.

“Don’t think for one second I’m gonna walk on the floor and let anyone walk all over me,” he said. “I’m comin’ to play. I’m comin’ to wrestle. And I’m comin’ to win. There’s nothing new to expect. I don’t have any new moves. I haven’t been given some miraculous pill that has me flying out of the gym and I won’t suddenly become a pure shooter. What you will see is me diving on the floor again, running up and down like a caged animal that has just been let loose and 110 percent of tenacious intensity.””

Hatfield said he is well informed about developments in the PBA and can’t wait to play for the Kings.

“What an awesome time playing for Ginebra is going to be,” he continued. “I’ve been following the PBA since I left and I definitely know what’s going on. I remember telling Eric (Menk) about J. C. (Intal) while he was at Ateneo and saying, ‘Look at the hops on this guy.’ It looks as if he’s become more than just a leaper.”

Hatfield said he has kept in shape playing in leagues but admitted he’s not in PBA condition at the moment.

“I plan on being ready,” he went on. “The good thing is I still weigh the same as when I left so I won’t have to worry about getting rid of extra weight. You know, if anything, I’ll be in shape. Maybe not as good right away but I’ll surely be able to get up and down the floor.”



Since leaving the country, Hatfield said he has found new meaning in his life with wife Bethany and their two children Bella, 5, and Lylah, 1, embracing the Christian faith.

For about 10 days last November, Hatfield quietly came to town for missionary work with the Northridge Church of Plymouth, Michigan. He visited schools, staged puppet shows for kids, conducted basketball clinics and delivered personal testimonials. Two highlights of Hatfield’s brief visit were explaining to kids a fun way to remember the 10 commandments and providing disaster relief for typhoon Ondoy victims.

“After about a year of researching, speaking with God, receiving so many signs and just putting myself out there to believe, I was finally saved,” he said. “My old life was put to death and I was reborn. I now truly believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior, that if we believe in His death for our sins, His resurrection as ourselves being resurrected into a new life and that He is the way, truth and the life. By all means, I still sin, I still make mistakes and I have a long, painful journey to go before I’m made into the perfect image of Jesus. But at least I know I can repent and be forgiven and I focus everyday on getting closer to God.”

Hatfield said his wife and daughters will make periodic visits to Manila while he’s playing in the PBA.

“It will be a great opportunity for my daughters to see a different culture especially for Lylah (who is part Filipino),” he said. “I want my kids to see where their father spent the majority of his growing years.”

As for how long he plans to play, Hatfield said it’s up to the Lord.

“Right now, the thought is to play until God tells me it’s time to move on,” he said. “I don’t know exactly how long it will be. But what I do know is for the last three years, I’ve been trying to find a purpose for my life, wondering what God made me for. For about three years, I tried to fool myself that I wasn’t made for basketball. I do know now that God gave me a gift and maybe I’m not the most talented basketball player but he gave me something that gets the job done.”

by Joaquin Henson | philstar.com

1 comment:

  1. hatfield is bacK!

    wooohooo!!

    hoping he can help bring the Kings to the promise land! hehe

    Champs to go!

    ReplyDelete